Pictured L-R: Jessica Ritter, Angela Wingert, Abigail Johnson, Molly Catherine Hill, Pascal Castillo, Kelsey Langdon, Brian Gerber, Amanda Benzenhafer, Brandon Hale, Isabelle Sheridan, Meredith Waropay, Riley Phipps and Andrew Schmal. Absent from photo: Ryan Carney (Photo provided)
Community Submitted Content
Fourteen area high school students received $78,000 in scholarships from Rotary Medford-Vincentown.
Each of the students received their scholarship at a dinner held at Braddock’s Tavern where they celebrated with family, friends and Rotary club members.
“It’s my favorite night of the year,” said Tammy Herbert, a member of the Rotary Club’s scholarship committee. “We are so impressed with these high school graduates and their accomplishments. We are honored to be able to help them with their university expenses.
“The committee works with high school guidance counselors to receive applications,” says scholarship committee chair Bob Wardle. “Applicants must write an essay on community service and then participate in an interview with the committee. Essay and interview are an integral part of our decision-making process, but we also take into consideration the student’s grades, community involvement, and financial need.
The scholarship students are:
From Shawnee High School:
- Pascal Castillo (Drexel)
- Brian Gerber (Rowan University)
- Molly Catherine Hill (Rowan University)
- Riley Phipps (James Madison University)
- Andrew Schmal (Rowan College BC)
- Isabelle Sheridan (American University)
- Angela Wingert (Wilkes University)
From Seneca High School:
- Amanda Benzenhafer (University of Arkansas)
- Brandon Hale (University of Pittsburgh)
- Abigail Johnson (University of Vermont)
- Kelsey Langdon (University of South Carolina)
- Meredith Waropay (Ithaca College).
From Sequoia High School:
- Jessica Ritter (Camden College).
From Bishop Eustace Prep:
- Ryan Carney (Catholic University).
“That’s what Rotary can do,” exclaimed David Stow, the club’s oldest member at 40. “The mission of Rotary is to serve before self. We raise funds throughout the year through a variety of activities so that we can fulfill this mission and serve others.
Rotary of Medford-Vincentown is a community of business leaders and professionals who provide humanitarian services locally and globally.